The popularity of marijuana is absolutely exploding. Those who use marijuana for medicinal or recreational purposes should have a grip on stoner slang in order to communicate with dispensary employees as well as their fellow marijuana lovers. Let’s get high on some knowledge.
- Beat: If a bowl, bong,”doobie” or other smoking device is “beat”, it means that its contents have been completely smoked. It is time to re-pack the piece and light it up.
- Blunt: A blunt is a cigar filled with marijuana.
- Bong: A bong is a smoking device, commonly made of glass or plastic. It has a space designated for the marijuana slide and another space designated to pour in water/place your mouth to smoke. It is unique compared to other pieces as it relies on water for to filter out some of the carcinogens.
- Bowl: A bowl is a marijuana pipe.
- Carb: The hole on a piece that you place your finger over in order to gain the suction that is necessary to pull the marijuana smoke down into your lungs. You release your finger from the carb after taking your initial “hit” to clear the remaining smoke out of the piece.
- CBD: Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a non-psychoactive chemical found in cannabis with amazing medical potential. CBD counteracts THC making it the perfect fix to a little overindulgence.
- Cotton Mouth: Smoking marijuana can cause the mouth to dry out resulting in a “cotton” sensation. A quick sip of water should take care of it, though.
- Cypher: A circle in which a marijuana gets passed around. Those who take consecutive hits from the piece or pass it to someone aside from the person next to them is “breaking the cypher”.
- Dab: Dabs are marijuana concentrates typically made with butane. Also known as wax and BHO (butane hash oil) a dab is simply highly concentrated cannabinoids that are either smoked, vaporized or eaten. Dabs are extremely potent so go easy until you build up a tolerance for this magical creation.
- Dank: Dank is a term used to refer to cannabis that is of superior quality/potency.
- Dime: A bag of marijuana that costs $10.
- Doobie: Also known as a “joint”, “jay” or “fatty” (if it’s especially large), a doobie is a simply a marijuana cigarette.
- Edible: An edible is a marijuana-infused food item. Edibles are typically made with cannabutter, a substance that is a combination of butter and the THC from marijuana, but can also be made with other forms of concentrated cannabis. Common marijuana edibles include brownies, cookies, candies, teas and drinks.
- Eighth: An eighth is the most commonly purchased amount of marijuana. It represents one-eighth of an ounce. People tend to buy eighths as they are easy to transport and affordable.
- Hit: A hit is a reference to sucking marijuana smoke down into your lungs from any type of smoking device.
- Schwag: Low grade marijuana that will only get you high if you smoke a large amount.
- Screen: A screen is commonly placed on a bong’s slider or within a bowl to prevent marijuana bits from being sucked down into the smoking device.
- THC: THC, or Tetrahydrocannabinol, is the primary psychoactive component in marijuana that causes the characteristic high.
You don’t have to be a cannabis enthusiast to learn how to talk like one. Use these stoner terms and more to take you from newbie status to pot pro.
To learn more Stoner slang, ask your Steamboat Springs Dispensary shuttle driver about their favorite stoner slang.